Saturday 9 June 2012

Struck by blight!

Two hours or so in the garden was more than enough for me today, this bug has really knocked the wind out of my sails. I did manage to get a few of the jobs done that I wanted, hopefully the rain will stay off until lunchtime tomorrow so I can get out there for a few more hours.


My first early swift potatoes have been struck with blight. So I have removed them and put the plants in a bag in the bin. I had a root through the soil not expecting to find much if anything and I was pleasantly surprised to find this little lot.
Potato blight

1st harvest










I just hope it will not affect the other potato plants. I harvested some more broad beans today which we will have with Sunday lunch tomorrow along with the potatoes. I'm looking forward to it already!

I planted out two of the courgette plants today. I soaked the growbag prior to planting them in. I think I have one of each variety, I'll soon know once they start growing.

The girls had a great time out in the garden again today whilst I cleaned out the coop as you can see from the following photo the fruit bed had a thorough digging. We had four eggs today so plenty for breakfast tomorrow.
Octavia and Matilda are busy!
The sun lounger is there to keep the girls safe from the rhubarb which they insist upon nibbling!



The above photo shows all that is left of the rhubarb after it was torn apart by the winds we had the other day and of course you can see that the snails have also been having a feast. I will not be having anything more from this again this year I will just leave it to grow and then die back down for hopefully a good harvest next year.

If you missed it yesterday as I never posted it until later my water butt that I won from Anglian water arrived yesterday. It is a large one and came complete with a stand and the attachments for the down pipe. It has not been assembled as of yet, I am hoping to get that job done tomorrow.


Well that is it from me for another day. I hope you all have a great weekend, until next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...