Wednesday 10 October 2012

Lovely Autumn day



It was a beautiful day here in Suffolk. A crisp bright day perfect for pottering about in the garden even if it was only for a couple of hours.

We had to be at the hospital at 9.50 this morning and trying to find a parking space is no easy feat. Ben had another X-ray and all is mending quite well, he can now put a little bit of weight on his foot and has been given a special shoe to put over the plaster on his foot. Ben is not very keen on his new fashion accessory!
Two hours later we finally got home, we have not got to go back again for four weeks, when the plaster will be removed and another X-ray and hopefully it will all be over and done with.

After a quick cup of tea I ventured out into the garden. The girls have had a wonderful time venturing further down the garden and finding new untouched earth. I gave the coop a good scrub out as I will probably not get many more chances to do so now winter is fast approaching.

I picked a few more runner beans and then I removed the plants and put them all in the compost bin. There are only a few parsnips and the pumpkins remaining in the vegetable plots as well as a few weeds of course.
I did not manage any digging today as I am having a few problems again with my leg and just walking about the house and garden are quite painful at the moment. Hopefully I will be able to do some digging at the weekend so I can then put down the compost and cover the ground. Failing that I'm sure my dad will help out with the digging for me.

my forlorn and empty vegetable plot

The pumpkins are still green and they don't look like they are changing colour at all. I have moved them so they are in full sunlight and moved as much foliage away as I can, however it does not seem to be making much difference. The lack of sunlight I suppose is not helping. I will give it a couple more weeks and then bring them in and pop them on the window sill.

The butter nut squash are still producing new fruits! They are also not changing colour and I shall do the same with these as the pumpkins. I found a couple of the Italian courgettes nestled under some leaves, which was a nice little surprise as I thought that I would not be getting any more, there are a few that will be perfect for picking next week, hopefully if the weather holds.

I have been having a rummage through my collection of jars today as I want to make some more jams and chutneys for the Christmas Hampers that I am making. I will also be making the sloe gin later on today and the elderberry vodka. Then all I have left to make for the hampers are the fudge, mint creams and the biscuits which I shall make early in December.

Well that is it from me for today, I hope you have enjoyed reading. Until next time x

Oh and don't forget there are some great recipes on the recipe page and I shall be adding more recipes very soon x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...